Monday 10 November 2014

Heavenly Creatures



The promotional images for MAC's Summer 2012 collection Heavenly Creatures radiate intergalactic glamour, but I also feel like they have a slight Elizabethan vibe. The look itself seems as though mainly mineral products have been used, creating beautiful light reflective shines on areas such as the eyelids, brow bone and cheeks. The eyebrows have been blocked out and covered in a white product. Not only does this create quite an alien look, but it is also reminiscent of Elizabethan beauty standards: a higher forehead being more attractive.


The skin is so pale it appears to be almost translucent, and the plum lipstick creates a stark contrast to this. I think the darker lip really compliments the light shades used for the eye makeup, it beautifully accentuates all features but still keeps everything in proportion, which is difficult to do when there are no eyebrows. I especially love the silver and blue shades used around the eye area, and I think the silver highlight on the brow bone is stunning. For my contemporary Elizabethan character I want to create something that looks quite alien and futuristic, but that also shows clear reference to Elizabethan glamour, and I think using pale colours with a lot of shimmer could make this look work quite well.


No comments:

Post a Comment