Tuesday 28 October 2014

Face Chart Lesson


In our first face chart lesson with Kat we learned the basics of face charting and various techniques that makeup artists often use when planning looks. For my face chart I decided to use cream products, as we were not working on watercolour paper therefore cream products were a better base, and blending is much easier on normal paper when using creams. I usually use cream products for my face charts, as I find that they give the face more prominent definition than powders, and the smooth texture is a lot better to work into. I also like my face charts to have an element of realism, and I feel that with cream products you can achieve more realistic looking skin, but I have also been experimenting with powders more recently.
My look wasn't really pre-planned and I mostly made it up as I went along. I wanted to do something quite alien-esque, but with a gothic twist. I purposely left out the eyebrows, instead putting black eyeshadow (Kryolan Supracolour) all the way up to where the brow should be for a more avant-garde look.
For the lip I wanted quite a vampiric vibe, so I used a wine-red all over and then blended in black Lip Mix around the edges for a more dimensional effect. This gave the lip a purple tone, so I decided to use purple on the eyelid, and highlighted that with gold on the inner corner of the eye, just because I love the way purple and gold look together.
For the eyeliner and lashes I used the method I always use: Indian ink and a 000 paintbrush. I often use these materials for illustration, as I find they make it possible to achieve thin, precise linework with clean, sharp edges. For the eyeliner I opted for a more contemporary take on the classic "cat eye" making it into a double wing and also defining the crease.
Before this lesson I hadn't made any face charts in quite a long time, so this was really helpful and a great opportunity to just play around with different techniques and experiment with a totally unplanned look.

No comments:

Post a Comment