Thursday 9 October 2014

Elizabethan Portrait

Maria Serra Pallavicino by Peter Paul Rubens 1606

This portrait is of the Italian aristocrat, Marchesa Maria Serra Pallavicino and was painted by Peter Paul Rubens on a trip to in Genoa in 1606. Little is known about the sitter, and originally she had been mis-identified as Marchesa Isabella Grimaldi. However, we do know that she was the wife of nobleman Niccolo Pallavicini, who was partially responsible for controlling the banking, economy and politics of Genoa, a responsibility the Pallavicini family shared with other Genoese aristocratic families such as the Spinolas, the Grimaldis, and the Durazzos.
I was struck by the sheer opulence of this portrait, as well as the hyper-realistic way in which Rubens has painted the piece. The sitters costume exudes wealth and nobility, and her social status is embodied by the shimmering gold silk fabric of her gown, which is decorated with goldwork embroidery, further conveying the extent of her wealth. Interestingly, the lower skirt is not supported by an internal frame or cage, meaning that the fabric hung loosely, but I think this would really compliment the way the over sized sleeves would hang. Her ruff is extremely large and heavily embellished, framing her face beautifully and completing the dress. I love the way in which her costume just seems to flow, each piece compliments the next piece so well. The sitters hair is accessorized with flowers, jewels, and a white heron feather, which is symbolic of peace and purity. I love the way her hair is styled and how the adornments are composed, and I will definitely be referring back to this in my later work.
The composition of the portrait is also very interesting: she is seated on a plush throne-like chair, and her stance itself seems quite regal. A parrot is perched on the left side of the chair: in the Elizabethan era parrots were a symbol of status among the European aristocracy, as they held connotations of rarity and exoticism. The setting of the portrait is very grand, and personally I feel that it truly reflects the essence of the subject.
I have chosen this portrait as my Elizabethan image because of all the portraits I looked at this one really inspired me on a level that none of the others did. I love how lavish the painting is, and the way Peter Paul Rubens paints is extraordinary. To me, his work really stands out from the other artists of the Elizabethan era - his style is so different and personally I feel that it is far more memorable. I think the subject is the epitome of Elizabethan beauty, and there is some really interesting symbolism within this portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment