Thursday 9 October 2014

Eternal Queen


Manila Luzon is a famous American drag queen, best known for appearing on the TV show RuPaul's Drag Race. Recently she released a single titled Eternal Queen, dedicated to her late boyfriend Antoine Ashley (Drag persona: Sahara Davenport) who passed away on October 1st 2012. Sahara was a highly prominent figure in the American drag community and had an extensive career in music, dance, and reality television. Manila's tribute to Sahara is extremely moving and there is some beautiful Elizabethan-inspired imagery in the video, which can be watched in full here:


One of Manila's main looks for this video was heavily inspired by Queen Elizabeth, and it really captures the essence of a strong, independent Queen. Manila's signature look is usually outfits compromised solely of black and white, so it's interesting to see her in a monochromatic costume. I think by wearing all white it is a subtle nod to Elizabeth's reputation as "the virgin Queen" as white usually represents purity and virginity, but I also think that due to the nature of the video this costume in particular holds connotations of fragility and emotional exposure.

Still from Manila Luzon - Eternal Queen (2014)
Still from Manila Luzon - Eternal Queen (2014)

The costume for this video is by New York designer Viktor Luna and I think it is a gorgeous modern interpretation whilst remaining true to the Elizabethan era. I particularly love the use of pearls as they really compliment the makeup, but pearls were also highly favoured by wealthy Elizabethan women. The dress is absolutely exquisite and retains so much authenticity and I love that an embellished ruff has been included - it completes the look and exudes regality. The whole look is very opulent and is perfect for the mood of the video.

Still from Manila Luzon - Eternal Queen (2014)
Still from Manila Luzon - Eternal Queen (2014)
Still from Manila Luzon - Eternal Queen (2014)

I think the makeup in this video is incredibly striking. I love the way the pearls have been used around the eyes and I would love to do something including pearls for my final look. I think the white eyelashes are gorgeous and fit in well with the monochromatic theme of the piece, and they really create a bold statement as opposed to a typical black eyelash. The pale skin also retains Elizabethan authenticity, and the whole look is perfectly completed with a contrasting red lip. I feel as though so much research and planning has gone into this look, and it really pays off because the ensemble as a whole is incredible.

Still from Manila Luzon - Eternal Queen (2014)

The wig for this look is by Wilma Whalley and is clearly inspired by classic Elizabethan hairstyles. Because of Queen Elizabeth's high hairline many Elizabethan women shaved their foreheads in order to achieve the appearance of a larger forehead, and it was fashionable for women to shave into their hairline to actually create a higher hairline. The wig Manila wears in Eternal Queen has cornrows at the front in order to mimic this Elizabethan trend. I love this modern twist and the wigmaker has clearly worked so hard to achieve an authentic Elizabethan look whilst incorporating contemporary style into her work.

Manila Luzon ETERNAL QUEEN photo by Francis J Smith

I have chosen this photo to be my contemporary Elizabethan image, as I feel it has clear links to the Elizabethan era balanced with exactly the right amount of modern style. Although it is based on historical fashion, I think to some extent the look is highly futuristic, and I am often inspired by the alien-esque. I also love the idea of a Drag Queen Elizabeth, as Queen Elizabeth herself constantly challenged gender roles and ideas regarding femininity. I absolutely love the hair and makeup and I think they work so beautifully with the costume. As soon as I saw this look I was so inspired and I knew I had to include it as part of my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment